Hi everyone. Here’s a nice and simple cinnamon roll you can enjoy for afternoon tea. Somewhere in between a cinnamon twist and a cinnamon roll, this treat is easy and quick to make because there’s no need to make the dough. Just use ready-made puff pastry. It leaves a sweet, crunchy and flaky crust but I really can’t take too much credit for this cinnamon roll. I got the braided twist look from this lovely blog (Home Cooking Adventure) I stumbled upon.
Cinnamon rolls are usually very sweet. This is the opposite. Not bitter, just subtle on the sweetness and has a good balance of sugar and cinnamon. Also, there’s no glaze drizzled on top.
I used to buy a large flat white and a cinnamon roll for breakfast from the coffee shop next door to our office almost every morning. I know it’s probably a heart attack waiting to happen but I needed sugar, lots of it to kick off my day.
This recipe uses 4 frozen puff pastry sheets. Double the recipe if you’d like to make more, but I find the rolls are actually quite big. Half is enough for one person.
Cheats Cinnamon Twist Rolls – makes 4
4 frozen puff pastry (thawed and ready to use)
3 heaped Tbsp of butter (softened)
3-4 heaped Tbsp of brown sugar
3 tsp of ground cinnamon
regular white sugar or caster sugar
icing sugar for dusting
1. Pre-heat oven to 180ºC. Grease or line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Mix butter, brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl until all combined.
3. Take one sheet of pastry and spread a thin, even layer of butter/cinnamon mix on the pastry (take care not to go over the edge of the pastry).
4. Carefully roll up the pastry into a log.
5. Repeat steps 3 & 4 for the remaining pastry sheets. Follow the instructions from here to get the braided twisty look.
6. Place cinnamon rolls onto baking tray and sprinkle a small amount of white sugar/caster sugar on top. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
7. Allow to cool slightly on a wire rack then lightly dust with icing sugar.
Can be eaten warm or cold. I like to have this with a nice, hot cup of flat white.