“Me want Cookie”, “Me eat Cookie”, and that famous “Om nom nom nom”, as Cookie Monster would say. I always wondered why his eyes are googly, now I know. Well, if all you ate are cookies, I’m sure your eyes would be googly too
I had a hankering for some chocolate chip cookies the other day. Not just any type of chocolate chip cookies. I was craving for the chunky and chewy cookies like the ones you find from Mrs. Fields and the thought of it made my eyes googly.
I’ve never made chewy cookies before so I had to scout the net for a recipe and I found one here. I used baking powder instead of baking soda and I didn’t add salt.
Cookie Soldiers! I was very pleased that I stumbled upon this recipe as these cookies are yummy, crunchy on the outside and chewy in the centre . When eaten warm, the chocolates just melt in your mouth and you just have to keep going back for more.
Chunky, Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies – makes about 28 cookies.
2 cups plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
150g melted butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 egg yolk
200g chopped milk chocolates
100g chopped dark chocolates
1. Sift flour and baking powder in a medium bowl and set aside. In a large bowl, combine caster sugar, brown sugar and melted butter. Mix well.
2. Add the egg and egg yolk and vanilla essence. Mix until well combined.
3. Add flour into the sugar and butter mixture in 3 parts and mix well.
4. Throw in the chocolates and mix through.
5. Pre-heat oven to 165 degrees celsius. Grab a tablespoon full of dough and roll it into a ball – about golf ball size or slightly smaller – and place onto a greased/buttered cookie tray. Remember to leave enough space between each dough (about 8cm) as they expand when baked. Bake in the middle rack of the oven for 15-17 minutes or until the sides have just turned golden brown. These don’t need to be cooked all the way through, that way they remain chewy on the inside.
6. Once baked, leave on a wire rack to cool. The centre will start to harden but it will still remain chewy inside, not crunchy.
Yum! The combination of milk and dark chocolates provide a nice balance of sweetness plus the added bonus of a chewy centre. No wonder Cookie Monster’s all googly-eyed. It’s so good and eating these will make you feel like a little kid again.
Looks like Cookie needs a private moment. Let’s leave him
What starts with C? Cookies! Relieve your childhood, watch Cookie sing that famous song, and after watching it, you won’t be able to get that song out of your head
Have an awesome weekend folks.